Here are my top recommendations for places to eat, all located in the Calangute-Candolim stretch:
1. La Plage - Cuisine: French. you already know about this one, but just adding it to the list for completeness.
2. Copper Bowl - Cuisine: Goan. Inside the Pousada Tauma (Calangute). Reservations essential - call 0832-227-9061. Sensational seafood in a wonderful setting. Expensive.
3. After Seven - Cuisine: European. Located near the Sarkar Ice Factory off the Calangute-Candolim road. One of Goa's best dinner venues; run by superchef Soumyen Chakraborty. Reservations essential - call 0832-227-9757 or 9226188288.
4. Ku - Cuisine: Pan-Asian. Open for lunch only. Located in Gaude Vaddo (Ashwem). Hard to find - so call them for directions (9326123570). Specialists in sushi and Vietnamese dishes.
5. Florentines - Cuisine: Goan. Chogm Road, Saligao. Cheap, plastic chairs kind of place with "legend" status among locals. Vegetarians may have limited options.
6. Fiesta - Cuisine: Italian. Located in Tito's Lane, Baga. One of Goa's more romantic restaurants, set in a lovely beachfront garden, with a magical ambience. Don't skip dessert.
7. Bomra's - Cuisine: Burmese. Located opposite Kamal Retreat, Fort Aguada Rd. Basic sort of place with top-notch food. Plenty of options for the vegetarians.
8. Bean Me Up - Cuisine: Organic vegetarian. Located near Vagator Petrol Pump. Excellent wholesome vegetarian food (with faux meat stuff). And a great kid's corner to keep them entertained while the grown ups can have a leisrurely meal.