Krabi has 2 beaches - Ao Nang, which is the main beach front filled with restaurants, bars, shops and lots of hustle-bustle. Nopparattara beach, 1km from Ao Nang beach front is much quieter, cleaner and has great little shacks on the beach to watch the sunset, enjoy some refreshments and lots more space for the kids to play around.
Your hotel is about 2kms from Nopparattara beach and is a good stroll down the road among traditional houses and lush green surroundings.
Your hotel provides the following:
- Complimentary Tuk-Tuk transfers to and from Ao Nang from 9.00 – 17.00 (9 am -5 pm)
- Villa staff can assist guests with tour booking and car / motorbike rental.
So there will be easy transport available to Ao Nang beach in the morning and return. In case you want to stick around longer in Ao Nang in the evenings, there are always options of booking a cab back. They are not expensive.
Krabi is famous for the following:
- Boat rides to surrounding islands and snorkeling
- Thai massage and spa, specially near Ao Nang beach - quite cheap and very relaxing
- A visit to the virgin rainforest
So here are the following things that you can do:
- Book yourself onto a Long tail boat ride for 4 islands trip - Tup and Chicken Island, Poda Island, Railey Beach and Pranang Cave. Railey beach is beautiful to swim in, very calm and clean. The boat ride is exclusive to you and provides snorkeling gear so you have the leisure to stop where you want, do a bit of snorkeling and see the parts of the sea that interests you. You can book via this - http://www.aonangtravel.co.th/package/en/94/4+Islands+by+long+tail+boat
- The Krabi rainforest and Emerald pool are really famous. There are natural hot springs to enjoy and the rainforest trek can be quite fun. This trip entails all of that including a visit to the famous Tiger Cave - a buddhist monastry. This will give you a chance to see the traditional thailand. Book it here.
- This is something I would highly recommend. A day trip to Phi Phi island, including many stops on the way to famous islands - Maya Bay (where The Beach was shot), Monkey Bay and Phi Phi in itself, which is beautiful. And this is by Speadboat. There are tours that run as well from Krabi to these destinations. We took one of them but realised it was too rushed, too packed with other tourists and very hurried. Plus the lunch provided was inedible! We realised, it costs about 500Baht more but totally worth it, as you have the convenience. Specially when you travel with kids, you need to have convenience in mind and the tours make it very 'touristy'. http://www.krabi-hotels.com/tours/speedboats/phiphi.htm
- Spa and Thai Massage - On the day you spend on the Ao Nang beach front, walking about at leisure, shopping at its various stalls (lots of haggling for sure), make way to Soi 17 Road, Walk right to the end of Ao Nang Beach road, go past a junction, where there is a road turning left (McDonalds, KFCs etc are here), keep going straight into a tiny lane by the beach – Soi 17 Road. This is a traffic-free road, with lots of hotels, restuarants and on-the-beach massage places. Pick one of your choice to get into, they are pretty relaxing. Around 250Baht for a full-body massage. Two places that I would highly recommend - Blooming in front of Golden Beach Resort, BF massage. It is in a small building also right on the lane way - near Ideary Coffee Shop, right in front of Aonang Villa - happy hours between 10am-2pm. :)
I would suggest booking the boat rides soon, so you dont have to worry about it when you go there. Or else the hotel may try and sell tours to you at a higher rate considering its tourist season in Jan-Feb.
Restaurants: Ao Nang is famous for its multi-cuisine restaurants due to a high number of european settlers. So you are in for amazing italian and german treats that you may not get as authentic, anywhere else, apart from the countries themselves. Some of the options are below. But ofcourse, the entire street of Ao Nang beach road is dotted by restuarants so you can pick and choose what excites you the most. Even the street with the massage beds, Soi 17 Road at the far end of Ao Nang beach, has many options including buffet.
- The last fisherman - on the Soi 17 Road - see TripAdvisor Review - Very good meal, view and perfect if you want a bit of sunset dining.
- Bernie's Place - vegetarian friendly - 80mtrs from Ao Nang Beach.
- Wanna's Place - right on the beach front, located in The L Resort on Ao Nang Beach road, has fabulous thai curries. See TripAdvisor Review. It is a bit 'steak' lovers paradise, but be assured, vegetarian thai curry and rice would be lovely here.
- Krua Thara - located on Nopparat Thara beach, for thai food, a good walk from your hotel and faces the beach.
- Bussaba Thai Restaurant - another favourite among locals. See TripAdvisor Review.
Let me know if there is anything else you want me to tell you and I can do some research.